Weekend 5: Fourth Trip to San Francisco and Hike to Volmer Peak

On this weekend I spent a small portion of Saturday in San Francisco taking my first up-close look at the Golden Gate Bridge. Alex and I, without Alina this time, began by taking a very long, unplanned detour South toward Fremont. I didn't realize we had gotten on a Bart sub that required a transfer to get to San Francisco. I was too busy looking for things to do in San Francisco to realize we weren't even hitting the right stations. Luckily, Alex managed to see that we weren't where we thought we were going and correctly directed us to get off and start heading back towards the transfer station. After the delay and upon waiting for a bus to take us to the bridge, we stopped by a nearby bakery/ sandwich shop for lunch. The bus took us to the other side of the bridge so we could walk back over. All I can really say was that it was big, though it wasn't as long as I thought it would be. What amazes me is that it was originally constructed out of beams of wood.








A display of what the interior of a support cable is made of.
 On Sunday I went on a hike that I've been meaning to go on since the first hike from week one, which was to get to the top of Volmer peak. It's the tallest peak in the Tilden Wildlife Area and is basically a hike straight up from where I live. Because of this, I thought it would be most meaningful if we didn't use a bus at all, even to get to the trails. So, Alex and I hiked all the way up and all the way down. It took up I think about 4 to 5 hours but the accomplishment was worth it. The altitude for my address is 449 ft and Volmer Peak is 1905 ft, a difference of 1456 ft. That's almost 5 times the height of the Statue of Liberty. It was hot and rough, but there was nature so it was all good. We ended up walking about 9 miles in total. I wished there were better spots for pictures at the top though.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10 Review: 9/6 - 9/10

Week 9 Review: 7/30 - 8/3