Sixth weekend in California

With Alina back the ride to San Francisco was much smoother. We arrived there early Saturday morning close enough to China town to walk.We wondered around  until we finally decided on another small dim sum place. The place was very good and I seem to be no better at ordering since the last time. I ended up with a few things I had no clue what they were, but they were all good.
After we finished eating we walked toward Pier 39 and the East Bay Aquarium.

We decided to go to the Aquarium first. We started at 2 amazing tunnel tanks. My favorite was the second: a tank full of sharks. My mom loves sharks, so seeing them reminds me of her. I could have stood looking at them for hours, but there was plenty more to see. We went up a floor to the tanks with bat rays and small sharks you can touch. They were going to feed them soon, so we decided to stick around. While we waited, one bat ray took special interest in me, splashing me several times and soaking my shoes (but it was ok because it was extremely sweet). When it was time to feed them there was extra food after the kids all had some, so I got to feed them too. I tossed squid pieces to my new friend and enjoyed watching him eat it. We toured the rest of the building to see some tortoises and otters, before we went back to walk the pier.


The pier is a bustling place. There is so much to do! We walked past so many small specialty shops including a puzzle and a spice shop that we spent a lot of time in. Both shop managers were very kind and helped us as much as they could. I tried onion sugar in the spice shop (not as bad as you'd think) and solved several logic puzzles in the puzzle shop (with some employee help). We also stopped at a candy shop for saltwater taffy. I only picked up one of each flavor I wanted to try, but there were so many flavors I still ended up with a full bag. While looking around we found a shop selling cookie dough in a cone. I had to try it, so we went in and Tyler and I both got one scoop. I got a nutella oreo cookie dough and it was amazing, even saying that one scoop was definitely enough, even for me.


Besides the shops the pier was also filled with attractions. There is a sea lion viewing pad, a performer hammering a nail into his head, and a house of mirrors. We weren't sure about the house of mirrors going in, but we all loved it. We were out in no more than 15 minutes, but those fifteen were amazing. It's hard to even explain the feeling of trying to figure out if that path you think is open is really just a tricky mirror.


After we experienced the pier we walked back through Chinatown. Tyler and I wanted dim sum to take back, so we drug Alina all over looking for the cheapest prices. We ended up at a little all you can eat place and ordered a couple different things to take home and try.


It was an amazing day in San Fransico, but the next day in Berkeley was almost as amazing. Alina and I finally made it to Lake Anza. The lake was full of algae, but Alina and I swam anyway. The weather was perfect and we laid in the sun for almost as long as we swam. It was an amazing day that I cannot explain sufficiently apparently 😂. I would say this is one if the best days so far, even if it sounds less impressive. Though we didn't really want to leave, Alina and I could tell we were getting burnt, so we decided to leave. We got Thai food from another amazing restaurant and split up for the weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10 Review: 9/6 - 9/10

Week 9 Review: 7/30 - 8/3